The Walter Cronkite School is Journalism and Mass Communication, located in Phoenix, Ariz., is seeking a Web developer/technologist in residence to help define the future of journalism. The technologist will work under the direction of the school’s New Media Innovation Lab, collaborating with students in an educational environment to develop products for media and communication companies.
The candidate should:
• Understand the potential of Web 2.0 (and beyond) to fuel new media products and services;
• Have strong programming skills, including knowledge of languages and Frameworks used in modern Web development to include at least several of the following: PHP, Rails, Django, Drupal and other CMS systems;
• Adhere to standards for Web framework, documentation, performance, coding and version control;
• Lead and participate in all aspects of Web development;
• Understanding of Web APIs;
• Experience or familiarity with iPhone SDK, Interface Builder, Cocoa Touch;
• Have demonstrated expertise with XHTML/CSS/XML/ scripting, knowledge of Flash and Action Scripting, Java and rich Internet applications as they apply to journalistic pursuits;
• Understand relational database design and implementation within a news context;
• Be able to resolve cross browser issues;
• Ability to work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams;
• Ability to manage projects and make deadlines;
• Experience working in a client-based environment;
• Excellent communication and documentation skills.
Specifically, the candidate should be able to handle these kinds of projects:
• Searchable, interactive online data bases within a journalistic framework.
• Interactive mapping and other mashup techniques for news stories.
• Social media, including programs with social interactivity features for news applications.
Minimum qualifications: The candidate should have 3-5 years of experience developing complex Web applications, ideally in a journalistic environment.
To apply: Submit cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
Cindy Coffman, Human Resource Director
Walter Cronkite School of Journalism
555 N. Central Ave., Suite 302
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Position will be open until filled.